Sunday, July 20, 2008

Zamba del Grillo



A los cerros tucumanos - Into the hills of Tucumán
me llevaron los caminos - the roads have taken me
y me trajeron de vuelta - and they've brought back to me
sentires que nunca se harán olvido. - feelings that will never be forgotten

Un grillo feliz llenaba - A cricket, happy, was pouring out
su canto de azul y enero - his song of January blue
y al regresar a los llanos - and on returning to the plains
yo le iba diciendo mi adiós al cerro. - I went along telling him of my farewell to the hills.

Como ese grillo del campo, - And like this cricket of the fields
que solitario cantaba, - who was singing all alone
así perdida en la noche - lost in the night
también era un grillo, viday mi zamba. - My zamba, viday, was also a cry
Así perdida en la noche se va mi zamba, palomitay. - And so, palomitay, lost in the night, goes my song...

A los cerros tucumanos - Into the hills of Tucumán
he vuelto en un triste invierno, - I have returned, in the sadness of wintertime
tan solo el monte y el río - So alone, enveloped in my pain,
envuelto en mis penas pasar me vieron. - the mountain and the river, they saw me pass by...

La luna alumbraba el canto, - The moon illuminated the song
del grillo junto al camino, - of the cricket, joined with the road,
y yo con sombra en el alma - and I with a shadow in my soul
pensaba en la ausencia del bien perdido. - thought of the absence of goodness gone...

Atahualpa Yupanqui

No comments: